Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Cimetière du Père-Lachaise

I have always been fascinated with cemeteries. Most of the people in our family have been cremated so I've never had a relative to visit until I met my husband. I grew up across the street from a huge cemetery and I first learned how to drive there *no one to hit* Anthony and I have been to almost every cemetery in Los Angeles so of course we had to see the famous Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris. So many French dignitaries are buried in this centuries old cemetery but it was not so popular in the beginning. I wanted to see Sarah Bernhardt, Balzac, Chopin, Molière, Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf, Héloïse & Abélard and of course kiss the tomb of Oscar Wilde. Before the graves, we went to lunch. We were craving pizza and the place I wanted to try *Pink Flamingo* was closed so we found a place nearby.

My head is unusually large
It was tasty
No photos please!
I never get tired of the colorful palette of Paris
It was on the verge of raining when we arrived at the cemetery
I bought a map and quickly headed for Wilde's grave since it was the furthest away
The thunder and dark gray skies were the perfect backdrop for such a setting
In LA, the oldest cemeteries are early 1900s so it was rad to see graves dated back to the 1800s
Perfectly creepy, there were tombs with broken stained glass
Reminds me of the cemeteries in New Orleans
My photos may look bright and cheery but in person the place was dark and scary
Here comes the rain!
We were prepared and brought Liv's wellies and raincoat. It's been raining for days but it's still very warm
Whoever this guy was, he was badass
Almost at Oscar's tomb!
Just as we were coming up on his grave, the security guards rode up and told us they were closing the cemetery due to the rain. It was hardly raining and I asked him for 5 minutes but he wasn't having it. We got tossed out! Boo!